Monday, November 16, 2009

Haikus

The first time I ever wrote a Haiku was in the 7th standard at English class with Lalitha Vasudevan Miss. It was fun then and it still is now. Haikus are small, yet powerful doses of literature. When written well they can paint a very vivid picture. Very loosely described a haiku is a three line verse in which the first line is short, the second line long and the last line short again. I've attempted to write a few following the very rudimentary rule of:

Line 1: 5 Syllables
Line 2: 7 Syllables
Line 3: 5 Syllables

Japanese haikus (from what I've read) often have 'season' words in them, that evoke the imagery of a particular season.

Here is my attempt at one:

"Summer breeze blowing
Catches me unaware, and-
Whisks my scarf away."

And then there's the token soppy haiku:

"When I look at you
I want to hold you to me
Never let me go."

[Last line courtesy Kazuo Ishiguro! Must give credit where it is due ;)]

This one's my favourite:

"Phone in my pocket
Comforting whirr of a text
I smile- it's from you."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

change "scarf " to something more unexpeced ,like the 3rd line in the 2ndhaiku and voila you have a perfect haiku

Taruna said...

like what? "shirt" :P that would be unexpected!!

Sam said...

I LOVE the last one! :) Have christened it *the* text message haiku and will refer to it as such if the appropriate situation ever arises :D

Taruna said...

@sam: i don't know what you are talking about :P

Sid said...

Taru! This "totally" inspired me to try and come up with a few myself! I like it! :)